Dental veneers and oral cosmetics are common terms nowadays. Dentals aesthetics consists of a medical procedure designed to improve the appearance of the teeth as a means of boosting the patient´s self-esteem.
Dentists use a number of techniques to improve dental aesthetics, more specifically porcelain or aesthetic veneers and so-called dental lenses.
What are dental veneers?
Dental veneers are made of porcelain or acrylic. They are recommended for wishing to improve their visual appearance. They correct discolored teeth (after devitalization), and, if necessary, what are known as diastemata (gaps between the teeth).
It consists of a shell bonded to the front of the tooth. The shell is trimmed before being placed on the tooth. This trimming is relatively superficial and enables the dentist to cement the dental shell or veneer, thereby restoring the patient´s smile. It is a type of personalized coating, manufactured in a laboratory or not, whose shape, color and size are adapted to the size of the tooth or smile being treated.
What are indicated for?
- Teeth which have been discolored due to devitalization (endodontics);
- Worn, broken and chipped teeth;
- Gaps between teeth (diastemata).
Veneers are made of porcelain or resin. While the former are produced in a laboratory and are therefore slightly more expensive, the latter are cheaper due to being composite-based and made on the spot. These are less resistant and their color changes over the years. Porcelain veneers are more resistant, however their durability depends on the care taken with them, such as avoiding excessively hard food. Another factor to be taken into account is dental occlusion.
Dental veneers step by step
1. First of all the surface of the tooth needs to be trimmed. This procedure is minimally invasive and therefore painless, or in other words, the trimming affects the enamel, thereby ensuring the veneer is cemented with the correct thickness compensation.
2. The color and material (resin or porcelain) is then selected. The dentist prepares the mold for the tooth or teeth. This model is then sent to the prosthetics laboratory. The technicians then manufacture the veneer in accordance with the dentist´s instructions, pursuant to the color, shape and material selected.
3. A special cement is applied to the front of the worn tooth with the aim of enhancing the bonding process and the veneer is cemented in place.
The price of aesthetic veneers
The cost of a veneer varies in accordance with the number of teeth involved. The type of material used, namely composite or porcelain, will define the price of the treatment. While resin models are cheaper, they do not last as long and their aesthetic appearance is inferior. Porcelain veneers, manufactured in a laboratory, are more expensive and last for longer, in addition to the clear advantage that their color does not change.
The advantages of dental veneers
This treatment is extremely popular for improving the dental aesthetics of a smile. The shape or anatomy of the teeth is rendered more uniform. Besides the fact a veneer can be repaired in the event it breaks, the individual´s chewing and phonetic functions are improved and oral hygiene is enhanced. They correct badly shaped teeth, are resistant, and replicate dentition in a natural manner.
If you are interested in boosting your self-esteem with a beautiful smile, find out about this treatment. Contact one of our clinics and make an appointment with one of our dental physicians specializing in dental aesthetics. We will explain everything you need to know: treatment times, the types of veneer available and the materials used. Our veneers will give you back a nicer and more functional smile.
Price of dental veneers
Veneer: 450 euros.